Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What cause a gel like film on the far corners of my eye?

Customer Question
What cause a white gel...
What cause a white gel like film on the far corners of my eye?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
3/5/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Is this like gunk that is collecting in the corner near your nose or the corners near the side of your head in the morning or are you talking about something actually stuck to your eyeball?

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Customer:

Hello. It is the corners closest to my ear.

Dr. Rick :

is it gunk that you can pick off like a booger (for lack of a better term :)

Customer:

It is not on the eye ball. It is very gel like.

Customer:

If I turn my head to the side and look at corner of eye you can see the gunk.

Customer:

I have put eye drops in thinking it would allow me to wipe the corners and remove this gunk.

Dr. Rick :

like a shadow in your visual field or an actual chunk of stuff that you can touch

Customer:

A chunk of stuff. I have tried to remove it but it's not happening. Plus, the eye is one of the organs in my body that kinda wigs me out!

Dr. Rick :

ok....now I understand.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a pinguecula. This is a thickening of the conjunctiva on your eyeball from a lifetime of exposure to the son. It is not a cancer, it can't be "plucked" or rinsed off your eye and it is nothing to worry about.

Customer:

I thought it was perhaps due to allergies. I am in Florida and the pollen is rather intense this time of year.

Dr. Rick :

They can be removed with simple surgery if they bother you but they sometimes grow back with a vengence.

Dr. Rick :

Nope Not from Florida allergies, but from Florida sunshine

Dr. Rick :

Here is a great article about pinguecula

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinguecula

Customer:

Are you saying with surgery it can be removed but return even more aggressively?

Dr. Rick :

My mom lives in Florida and has one too...

Dr. Rick :

yes, that is why I keep refusing to remove my mom's pinguecula :)

Customer:

Does it ever go away on its own?

Dr. Rick :

no. But they don't tend to grow very fast if you leave them alone

Customer:

Where in Florida is your mom? I am in Vero Beach

Dr. Rick :

Some doctors think wearing sunglasses helps....I"m not really sure if it does or not.

Dr. Rick :

DelRay Beach

Customer:

Oh, that's a nice spot.

Dr. Rick :

I was just there a few weeks ago. Went SCUBA diving with my teenage son.

Customer:

Well,I will read about this gunky mess!

Dr. Rick :

ok. have a good weekend. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Thank you. You do the same,

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Dr. Rick :

bye

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
k
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD