Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a growth on my left eye ball. on the of my eye

Customer Question

i have a growth on my left eye ball. on the white of my eye towards the corner it is quite large. didnt notice it until my daughter pointed it out. i thought it was vision problems related to chemo for ovarian cancer. my cancer doctor has never see this before.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

can you take a picture of it and upload it so I can have a look? There are many ways to upload a picture, but this way works:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer:

i dont know how to do that ,but it is mostly white , it is most solid next to my pupil that section is round and white the rest goes to the corner of my eye and is thinner.

Dr. Rick :

it sounds like you have a pinquecula. It is not a cancer. It is not related to your ovarian cancer or chemo Rx. It is common and comes from changes in the conjunctiva of your eyeball from exposure to sunlight over the course of your lifetime.

Dr. Rick :

It does not need any type of treatment, although it can be removed by simple surgery if it bothers you, however they tend to grow back after surgery, sometimes even worse then they were before they were messed with.

Customer:

should i see a doctor? can it be removed? it is kind of bothersome and my eye waters alot.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a nice article on them with a picture:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinguecula

Customer:

thankyou for your help

Dr. Rick :

no need to rush to an ophthalmologist or to have it removed. It is most likely not the cause of your eye watering.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Let me know if I can do anything else to assist you.