Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

Seeing a red spot in the center of my vision field in the

Customer Question

seeing a red spot in the center of my vision field in the right eye. Noticible i dark eviorments
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.
Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

are you present online?

Dr. PG :

there can be various causes of the spot that you are seeing in your eye-

Dr. PG :

it can be a floater. These are normally seen in older age. When the vitreous (thick jelly like fluid) gets separated form the retina, then floaters in teh form of spot/thread/ring can be seen. This usually moves with the movement of the eye. A floater is harmless

Dr. PG :

other possibility is a mild bleed in the vitreous humor, which can be seen in diabetic patients, trauma or due to a minor trauma to a blood vessel while the vitreous is getting separated from the retina. A bleed needs to be evaluated for the cause and treated accordingly

Dr. PG :

in cases of posterior uveitis (inflammation of the posterior part of eye), there might be presence of such spots seen in field of vision

Dr. PG :

rare causes are scotoma (obliteration of central part of vision) due to a problem of the optic nerve caused by pressure on it

Dr. PG :

I would recommend you to consult an Ophthalmologist for a detailed evaluation to rule out the above possibilities and to be treated if needed