Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a year old male, I had a retinal oclusion and blind in

Customer Question

I am a 69 year old male, I had a retinal oclusion and blind in my right eye, are retinal transplants available?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
No. There is no way to transplant a retina and restore vision at this time.
There has been some very interesting research in the placement of computer chips inside the eye to restore the ability of a blind eye to experience the ability to perceive light but it will be many decades before this technology restores anything close to vision in a human.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
your answer reminded me to ask if there is any progress being made in the use of stem cells?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
That is an excellent question, and I don't know the answer to that. Let me ask some of my friends in Academia and get back to you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Hi. I spoke with a friend in a University ophthalmology department and they told me that a lot of work is being done with stem cells in many areas but nothing is on the horizon in the area of vision restoration.
Take care.