Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have occasion blind spot, e.g., reading power bill, 53.98

I have occasion blind spot, e.g., reading power bill, 53.98 I saw 3.98, looked back in couple of minutes, saw 53.98, ..saw big truck in yard , alone, came back out of house, appx 3 min, saw big truck and dump truck. Have left ear water-sound and once or twice a day am dizzy. Have had spells with Vertigo for 25 years.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you may be experiencing amaurosis fugax. This is usually caused by the interruption of blood flow to the eye for a brief period of time.

Dr. Rick :

In light of your past medical history and the current medicine you are taking I feel it is important for you to have a complete examination by an ophthalmologist ASAP.

Dr. Rick :

If this is occurring with both eyes open, especially when your visual field was damaged to the point that an entire dump truck parked in your yard "fell" into your blind spot you may have had a homonymous hemianopsia (HH), which is a type of partial blindness where you loose vision in the same visual field of both eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Transient HH are not common, but they do occur and warrant a diligent search for their underlying cause, usually with a complete exam and MRI of the brain.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to the chat room.

Customer:

I have had odd things happen to my eyes for years. e.g., dilateted oblong , like a cat eye, seen by others first, no solution , (years ago) currently feel as if my eyes have crossed, lasts about 30 seconds. get dizzy for a

Customer:

moment often, thought it was inter ear.

Dr. Rick :

Inner ear problems would not cause the large visual field defects your are having. Did this occur only in one eye (close one eye at a time to check) or with both eyes open?

Customer:

blind spots most recent, small and large, I have floaters that I can see, had retena surgery, 3 years ago, for torn retena. I never see blind spot when I am trying, have closed one eye and tried.

Dr. Rick :

Well, I think it is best if you have an exam by a ophthalmologist and, if indicated followup testing.

Customer:

Do you know a good one in my area? Have one now that has been (over last two years) doing Field Test and have a Field Test scheduled for later this year. However, have changed insurance and he is not available to me.

Dr. Rick :

what city are you in and I'd be happy to check.

Customer:

Greenville, SC

Dr. Rick :

Ok, let me check. Be right back.....

Dr. Rick :

Dr. ***** ***** of Southern Eye Associates(###) ###-####at*****is well recommended.

Dr. Rick :

Also David Donelson, MD(###) ###-####at***** Suite A150

Customer:

Thanks, ***** *****

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Best of luck to you. Have a good evening.