Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have suddenly developed blood-shot eyes - no styes, no

Customer Question
itching, no milky substance, nothing...
I have suddenly developed blood-shot eyes - no styes, no itching, no milky substance, nothing ... just red eyes which are extremely sensitive to light. That was approx. 2 months ago. The one eye recovered perfectly but the other is still red in the morning, gets tired easily and is still sensitive to light. Please help.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
2/8/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

are you present online?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

yes I am

Dr. PG :

can you give me some more information regarding your question-

Dr. PG :

have you developed these symptoms of redness, tiredness etc for the first time since 2 months or did you get them previously also?

Customer:

I hurt my right eye with a tweezer approx. 5 months ago. A doctor treated my eye and it healed beautifully although sensitive to sharp light. Two months ago my only grandchild was diagnosed with cancer and while in the hospital with him, my eyes just turned red - blood shot. It was the first time ever. The left eye is fine but the previously injured right eye is still red in the morning, though not bloodshot.

Dr. PG :

except redness you had no other symptoms?

Customer:

Nothing - my eyes were very sensitive and got tired very easily

Dr. PG :

ok

Dr. PG :

are you on any other medicines like for hypertension, diabetes etc?

Customer:

Yes, I use Ziak (6.25 mg) for hypertension

Dr. PG :

any medicines for hypothyroid?

Customer:

No, not at all.

Dr. PG :

ok

Dr. PG :

what you are describing is dryness of eyes

Dr. PG :

in dry eyes, there is redness with tiredness specially in mornings

Dr. PG :

since you improved in one eye with lubricating eye drops, that further aids the cause

Dr. PG :

but since you had an injury in the right eye 5 months back, it can cause either dryness more than the other eye or can have an unstable epithelium (superficial surface of cornea)

Dr. PG :

you can try more frequent use of lubricating eye drops i.e. optive in the right eye along with use of lubricating eye gel before going to sleep like genteal eye gel

Dr. PG :

if your symptoms do not improve, then you need to consult your ophthalmologist for a first hand evaluation and need for intervention

Customer:

Why the sensitivity to light - especially the TV? Please

Dr. PG :

this is again due to dryness

Dr. PG :

we have a coating of tear film on the ye, specially cornea

Dr. PG :

if that gets disrupted then air, light etc can irritate the eye

Customer:

Is it possible that the extreme airconditioning in the hospital (with my grandchild) could cause the extra dryness?

Dr. PG :

yes, if you have been sitting in that atmosphere for long time, then that can cause dryness

Customer:

Thank you very much. You helped me a lot.

Dr. PG :

you are most welcome

Dr. PG :

glad to be of help

Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Dr. PG
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist