Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Dr., The day after I sent you this message, I went to a

Customer Question
Hello again Dr. James, The...
Hello again Dr. James, The day after I sent you this message, I went to a Retina specialist. He said there was some beginnings of retina detachment but that it wasn't very bad. He said to come back in 7 days to re-evaluate it.    Seven days later I went back in and he said that it had gotten very serious and he tried to laser it down but there was too much fluid behind it. I still had no vision loss but he said we had to do surgery that afternoon. So I had Retina detachment surgery that afternoon. Lens replacement surgery three months later due to the gas bubble causing a cataract. My question is why didn't he try to laser it down the first day I went in? He said he never sees patients more frequently than 7 days.    My vision is now good, but inconsistent and uncomfortable. And of course it cost me several thousand dollars. My question is should I pursue legal action. I believe that my surgery could have been prevented. Your thoughts please? Thx.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/8/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
If on the first visit there was already fluid under your retina and it was getting detached, then laser would not have helped much. Laser is useful in cases where there is a hole in the retina but the detachment had not started. You had sudden loss of vision on getting up from your nap along with floaters, this indicated a retinal detachment, which was confirmed on your first evaluation by your doctor. The course of action for you was surgery, which was done.
Its good that your vision is restored. The inconsistency in vision can occur after retinal detachment surgery. In most patients it settles over time, but can persist in a few of the patients.
Regards
Dr. PG
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist