Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My husband has yellowing of the eyes, only on the part that

Customer Question
is exposed when eyes are...
My husband has yellowing of the eyes, only on the part that is exposed when eyes are open. There is also some type of "film or some kind of clear mucus" on them and not sure what to make of it. The "film" will not come off like mucus usually does. He drinks every day and I am kind of concerned it might have to do with that.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I'm still here....you pushed the pretty green button, didn't you :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I am available
I'm still here but we got shunted over to Q&A. We can work on your question just fine here.
Does you husband have itchy skin? Any tint to his skin (hard to see unless he is fair skinned....)?
And problems with his vision?
Is the yellow of his eyes localized to a specific area of the whites of his eyes or is it the entire part of his white?
He is hispanic so I cannot tell about the color of his skin. no itching of skin though. I am not sure about any vision problems... he is not complaining any. The discolorationright now is just limited to the white of his eye that is exposed when his eyes are open. But sometimes the yellowing casn spread to the rest of the white of the eye.
It is possible that he is having liver failure, given what you mentioned about his drinking. If this is the case he should see his primary care MD.
Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your husbands eyes? I'd be happy to take a look at them if you could. One way to upload a picture is:Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to wwwtinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
The other thing he could have is called a pinguecula. This could cause a yellow color in the white part of his eyes.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://faculty.washington.edu/alexbert/MEDEX/Fall/pinguecula.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blass.com.au/definitions/p inguecula&usg=__YV4G58sv_Fpzuh0_5W0c3dKoMdk=&h=284&w=436&sz=11&hl=en&start=20&sig2=E4qVxfOHJ1joEOmCZY8B6Q&zoom=1&tbnid=6eoyDz0nKwfMxM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=126&ei=OVpQTar0C4WltwfI5sC2AQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpinguecula%2Bimages%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D1%26biw%3D938%26bih%3D993%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1
Does it look like the link above?

http://i52.tinypic.com/wj6iyt.jpg

Sorry it took so long to upload a picture of his eye. any help would be appreciated.

ok. Let me take a look. Be right back.
well. Good news. That is not from liver failure. It is called a pinguecula. It is nothing to worry about at this time.
Here is a link to a very good article about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinguecula
Let me know if you would like me to add anything to the above article. By the way, that was a very good picture :)
He works outside... should he were any certain kind of sunglasses to protect his eyes so they do not get any worse... Will it go away.
Any sunglasses that block UVA and UVB light should work just fine (and most of them do....). It will not go away, but if it gets to be too bothersome it can be removed with surgery, however pinguecula tend to come back after surgery.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD