Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I've had a problem with my left eye only, tearing up and watering.

This has been going on...
I've had a problem with my left eye only, tearing up and watering. This has been going on for three weeks now. My opthomologist has me using "Tobra Dex ST" drops, which has helped slightly, but it hasn't gone away. Do you have any other suggestions?
2/7/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you are offline....

Dr. Rick :

There are a couple of things that can be causing your symptoms that could have been easily overlooked during a busy clinic day which would respond a little to tobradex but not gotten all that much better.

JACUSTOMER-35zpc66k- :

Yes, I can chat

Dr. Rick :

Even though you are having symptoms in only one eye it is possible that you may have some component of an underlying allergic reaction, dry eyes and, most likely blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

HI.

Dr. Rick :

The good news is that there is an easy, at home, treatment you can do which will cover all these causes......

JACUSTOMER-35zpc66k- :

Please continue, I can chat right now.

Dr. Rick :

OK

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-35zpc66k- :

What at home treatment do you suggest?

Dr. Rick :

I would give this treatment at least 3 weeks to "kick in". You can continue the tobradex as the steroid component will help even though you don't seem to need the antibiotic part.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

JACUSTOMER-35zpc66k- :

Yes. Why would this be making my left eye ONLY, water? It waters as if I were crying, but only my left eye.

JACUSTOMER-35zpc66k- :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question.....I have seen people with symptoms in only one eye even though both eyes, on careful exam, show evidence of blepharitis etc. I really don't know why some folks seem to have one eye affected more then the other. Ruling out, of course, other causes of unilateral tearing and watering -- which I'm sure your ophthalmologist ruled out during your most recent visit.

Dr. Rick :

does your side of the screen show when I am typing? Mine shows when you are typing in a window on the lower left part of my screen....

JACUSTOMER-35zpc66k- :

I will try your suggestions. Yes, my opthomologist did examine me thoroughly, but I'm still concerned due to the fact it's not going away. No it doesn't tell me when you're typing. Anyway, should I be concerned because it's lasting so long?

Dr. Rick :

Not yet. Give the lid scrubs a try.....if you don't see some improvement (not complete resolution mind you) by this Thursday give your ophthalmologist a call and try to get back in sometime early next week.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that you have a vision threatening condition

JACUSTOMER-35zpc66k- :

Thank you. By the way, if I contact you again, is there another $35.00 charge?

Dr. Rick :

nope. Just ask for me and I'll be happy to continue to assist you at no additional charge. You may be able to just append your new contact on the end of this dialog, even after you accept....

JACUSTOMER-35zpc66k- :

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, one more question, would you recommend an over the counter eye lubricant, such as "Systane"?
Would you recommend "Systane" over the counter eye lubricant ?
Systane is a very good brand of eye drop.

Thank you for your reply, I will try Systane.

Sincerely;

Douglas Mancini

*****@******.***

My pleasure.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD