Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My son of 23 got hit in the eye with a paint ball a week

Customer Question
ago. his pupil is enlarged...
my son of 23 got hit in the eye with a paint ball a week ago. his pupil is enlarged and it is sensitive to light. he has no insurance and i am having problems getting to get him in to eye doctor.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

He could have a potentially serious ocular injury. How is his vision in the affected eye?

Dr. Rick :

And did you already read him the riot act about wearing his safety gear, or would you like me to take a shot at him? :)

Customer:

I'm not completly sure as it is hard to get him to talk about it. I know that flourescent light hurt but I am not sure about vision

Customer:

I have read the riot act many times

Dr. Rick :

Well, with the large pupil he has, at the vary least, a traumatic iritis. He really needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist ASAP.....even though it has already been a week. The list of possible injuries, some of them which can cause blindness, is long but I'd be happy to list some of them for your son if you think it would help. Having been 23 myself, and having now raised 3 twentythree year olds I'm not willing to bet on it motivating him to seek help.

Dr. Rick :

If he has an A5 paintball gun with full auto electric trigger he should be able to sell it for much more then it would cost for an exam to keep his vision.....

Dr. Rick :

I play paintball too :o)

Customer:

I think he will go today as he stated if it was not better by monday he would go, I have used Barnett Delany here in Phoenix even if I pay for the appointment.If you can help by giving him options for not going I would really appreciate it.

Dr. Rick :

Well, I have seen a number of ocular injuries from a (non frozen) paintball......Hyphema, iritis, ciliary body detachment, iris root rupture, cataract, retinal detachment

Dr. Rick :

This injury is nothing to play around with. Even a mild injury, left untreated, can cause a cascade of preventable, life-long, vision threatening damage.

Dr. Rick :

If he doesn't want to spend the time to have his eyes examined, at least he will still have one good eye.....and he didn't want to be a fighter pilot anyway, right?

Dr. Rick :

All kidding aside.....make him go via any means you have.

Customer:

He always wears his gear but they were shooting a group of paintballs out of a water ballon sling shot launcher and when it got to the launch some of the paintballs came back at them. he got hit in the eye with just one, I'm happy that it was not from one of the guns,but he would have had his gear on.

Dr. Rick :

That is good news....hopefully the force involved was not that great then....but, still, he is having problems a week out that have yet to solve themselves. You only have two eyes, time to get some professional input.

Customer:

Thanks Doctor I'm going to make his appointment and make him go.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD