Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a mild prescription Left (-0.25) and Right eye (-0.5)

I have a mild prescription Left (-0.25) and Right eye (-0.5) with mild astigmatism in the right eye (-0.25) at 90 degrees. I will have to wear glasses while watching TV/Computer etc. I just had the eye test a month back.
Do I need to use the above glasses for reading magazines or books as well? When I read books, everything is clear but eyes feel strained.

Hello and thanks for your question. The only reason to wear this mild prescription for reading magazines or books is if it makes your reading easier and/or clearer. It would not hurt your eyes to use the glasses for these types of activities, nor would it make your eyes more habituated to the glasses.

However, there can be several other reasons for the eyes to feel strained from reading and by far the most common amongst them is dry eye. When we read our eyes naturally blink less and are therefore open longer, making them more susceptible to dryness and if the eyes already have some baseline level of dryness, this worsens it.

What would be a reasonable thing to try if you are so inclined is to use some artificial tears 3-4x/day in both eyes for 3-4 weeks to see if this helps the straining. If it does, then you likely have some component of dry eye causing your strain.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.