Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am having extreme swelling around my eyes, upper and

Customer Question

I am having extreme swelling around my eyes, upper and lower. I can push the fluid under my eyes and it goes all the way around to the top of my eyes. The fluid in my eyes is beginnning to sag and cause my eyesight to be compromised. I also feel like I have a light film over my eyes. Am really scared and afraid as we only have two eyes. Can you help? Please!
Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I switch over to the Q & A format so that you can view the response once you are back online.

We can continue to send responses here.

I need to ask a few questions so as to understand the condition better.

Do have a history of hypertension?

Is the swelling more so on the upperlid? Does the upperlid sag over the eye?

Could you clarify about this light film over the eyes?

I was hoping to get an early reply but nevertheless we can discuss about the problem here.

The skin around the eyes is made of very loose tissue which is capable of accumalating a lot of fluid beneath it. The fluid can collect not only from eye diseases but from fat prolapse due to lack of support with increasing age. It is also seen with hypertension and renal problems, anemia with hypoproteinemia.

It would be better to get your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist , not only for the swelling around the eyes but for a closer look to evaluate the light film over the eyes and to know the cause of reduced eyesight. If it is more of prolapsed fat, then a blepharoplasty can be considered . It is a kind of corrective surgery.

In case of no abnormality detected with the eyes, then a general physical examination by a physician would be preferred .

Please do NOT press the accet button as you ahve already done so ( a bit too early I guess).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Already went to an opthamologist and he is the one who told me to put warm compresses on my eyes and told me that the oil ducts in my eyes was not draining properly. My question has not been answered yet to my satisfaction.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Already went to Opthamologist and he told me to put warm compresses on my eyes, which I did. He told me the oil glands in my eyes were not draining properly. Nothing has helped so far.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Already went to Opthamoligist and he told me to put warm compresses on my eyes, which I did. He told me the oil glands in my eyes were not draining properly. Northing has helped so far. ):

Fifi

I'll try my best to give you an answer to your satisfaction since you do not seem to have got the right answer.

It is good that you have had an eye exam already. It explains the cause of the film over the eyes. If the oil ducts are not functioning properly then their oily secretions can form a film over the eye( normally also it is present but can get pronounced). But this would not be the cause of the swelling around the eyes. As I mentioned earlier the skin around the eyes is very spongy and can accumalate water quite a bit. A general examination would help to detect any systemic cause.
In continuation of the above answer-

Usually no medicines are given for swelling around the eyes ( of no systemic casue). Warm compresses are to be continued .If there is no underlying systemic or ocular cause , then it is likely to be from lack of support to the peri-orbital fat .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am a little young to have this problem. The fluid can be pushed from the bottom of my eye to the top of my eyelid? Can you offer any solution to this problem other than the compresses....they don't seem to work?

Fifi