Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My little nice's doctor was flushing one of her eyes because

Customer Question
my little nice's doctor was...
my little nice's doctor was flushing one of her eyes because she got some glu in her eye, but suddenly, the needle of the syringe that her doctor was using get out the syringe and ended stuck it in her eye, now she has blurred vision and sometimes she does not see with her right eye. that happens 7 years ego. there's a solution?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
2/5/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How old is your neice now?

Customer:

16

Customer:

yes 16

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any idea about her vision in the right eye?

Customer:

yes,

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any visible scar on the cornea?

Customer:

what I know is that her doctor put in her eye something like a glass

Customer:

it was to helper her to have a better sight

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does she wear glasses or contact lenses now?

Customer:

I thinks she has a lense in her in the injured eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer:

she was also prescribe glasses to better her sight

Customer:

but she did not see any improvement with the glasses. so she's not wearing them

Customer:

are you there

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Fine. In the given circumstances , I think that a needle prick to the cornea would more or less result in a faint scar more like a dot and would not hinder with the vision or be the cause of visual loss as such.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Moreover the needle would be sterile one thus rules out the possibility of any intraocular infection too.

Customer:

see that happens seven years ago, now my question is why there's not improvement in her sight as her doctor said that would be

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What needs to be done is to look out for any increase in her refractive error( short or long sightedness). By the way , when you said there is a lens in the eye, is it an intraocular lens?

Customer:

furthermore. if she covers the left eye her sight is so blurred

Customer:

yes it is an intraocular len

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just thought of the possibility that the needle prick could have been deeper damaging the lens. So the doctor would have removed the crystalline lens and inserted an intraocular lens. Since it was done at a very young age , there can be chances of development of an after cataract.

Customer:

correct the doctor removed the cataract and them he placed the intraocular len

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In after cataract there is thickening of the posterior capsule( thin membrane behind the lens) and is very common in children. It can be treated by an office procedure called Nd:YAG laser.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is a safe laser procedure which removes the posterior capsular thickening.

Customer:

that means that the lens would be removed to do that procedure

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No the lens need not be removed.

Customer:

so how is that procedure

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the vision has remained less from an after cataract, then following Nd:YAG laser there will be definite improvement.

Customer:

so what is the probability of her recovering sight with the Yag laser

Customer:

so what is the probability of recovering her sight

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this procedure the person is made to sit infront of a slit lamp and laser beam is aimed at the posterior capsule. It is a painless procedure and will hardly take a few minutes.

Customer:

I understand the process, but what is the probability

Customer:

are you there!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As I said earlier , first the cause of reduced vision needs to be established by a slit lamp exam. Once confirmed that it is due to after cataract then laser can be tried. Usually this procedure has a very high success rate ( only in rare cases the posterior capsule is very thick like a dense membrane which would then need surgical repair). Exact figures cannot be told though.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But overall Nd:YAG laser has very good success rate.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Visual improvement is seen the very next day itself.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The only thing to be noted is to rule out any other possible cause for reduced vision .

Customer:

what is the other surgical repair?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does this address your concern? Do you have any more questions ?

Customer:

would you mind to explain me the surgical repair if the membrane is thinner

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case of thin membranes there is no need of any surgery and only laser will do.

Customer:

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Laser treatment is a non-surgical technique.

Customer:

if there's a reduced vision, this could be fixed?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'm to assume that her vision was good immediately after the initial surgery.

Customer:

not it wasn't

Customer:

that's why I am concerned

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Oh I see. Any particular reason for the reduced vision post -operatively was given by the doctor?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the vision was poor right after the initial surgery then there can be a number of causes for it and not after cataract.

Customer:

in addition her dr. says to wait more time but has passed years and I didn't see any improvement in her vision. so I am thinking to see other specialist

Customer:

what possible causes do you think could be? Like a bad the first surgery?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The list for post-operative complications of cataract surgery can be long and exhaustive. I would not be doing justice by simply naming all of them.

Customer:

so do you think that has to do with the first cataract surgery? if so there's any solution for that

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There could have been more internal injury to the eye by the initial needle prick itself( to the inner layers of the eye such as retina/macula). Also after the surgery there could have been inflammation of the eye( chronic uveitis), post-op astigmatism, macular edema, many if and buts.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I think it would be best to seek the opinion of another eye specialist who can have a look at the actual eye signs and then give further comment on the possible treatment modalities and prognosis.

Customer:

in your opinion do you think there 's a good change of improving or recovering her vision if the retina.. was damaged

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since her vision never improved after the injury/cataract surgery, the cause of reduced vision has to be at that time itself. 7 years would be long time for any cause for reduced vision to improve. Whatever the cause is it needs to be detected by a thorough eye exam and then decided upon whether it can be treated or not.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the retina is damaged , especially the central part called macula, then I'm afraid the visual recovery is going to be very poor.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer:

yeah

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything I can answer for you in this regard?

Customer:

No

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist