Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have branch vein occlusion in one eye. Have received laser

I have branch vein occlusion in one eye. Have received laser treatment also one injection of steroid with little change and also injection 2 times with Avastin. I believe the doctor said there is fluid in front of the retina. I have lost central vision. Is there any other treatment possible.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What you eye doctor has said is definitely true. One of the complications of branch retinal vein occlusion ( BRVO) is cystoid macular edema( CME). The treatment received so far is correct .

Customer:

Is there any other treatment that would help?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry, I meant "your" eye doctor.For treatment of CME grid laser is tried along with steroids. Injection Avastin helps to regress the vessels.Flurbiprofen eye drops are beneficial in early stages . I'm afraid that all possible methods of treatment have been tried already. The fact that the central vision is lost , it denotes that the macula, which is the central part of the retina contributing to 80% of our vision , is still having edema. These are refractory conditions which can take months to show improvement. I guess you need to wait some more time to see visible improvement. But as far as any other methods to be tried - well you have been given the best possible so far.

Customer:

Thank you for answering my questions.