Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have severe eye pain on the top part of my eyes when i

Customer Question
read even if i have...
i have severe eye pain on the top part of my eyes when i read even if i have only had to read for a short time. i were glasses and have had cateract sergery in my right eye about 10 years ago. i am 47 years old. any segestions please help! please excuse any miss spelling thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
2/4/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

Just want to know whether I have understood your symptoms right. The severe pain is the upper part of both eyes and is worse on reading ( inspite of wearing the reading glasses).

Apart from the pain, have you noticed any change in vision / watering/redness in the eyes?

When was your last eye exam and when did you take the present spectacles?
I need to go offline for 15-20 minutes and then I'll be back to continue.
both eyes hurt. and continue to hurt never really goes away. when i go to bed and get up in the morning they still hurt. the best way i can explain pain is like a bad tooth ach and you just want it pulled out sometimes that is how i feel about my eyes. i go to school and need to do quite a bit of reading. but cant keep having this eye pain.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Well such a constant pain in the eyes is not of ocular origin usually except for extreme dry eyes. Most of the painful eye conditions have other eye symptoms too such as redness and reduced vision as in uveitis, acute angle closure glaucoma and keratitis. The probable causes of such constant eye pain could be from ocular migraine or referred pain from sinusitis( due to close proximity of the eyes to the sinuses). Since your symptoms are worsened on reading, I suggest that you start putting lubricating eye drops available over the counter such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. You can take Tablet Acetaminophen 650 mg SOS to reduce the eye pain. If the severity of pain does not reduce by 3-4 days then I suggest you get a detailed eye exam done by an ophthalmologist and maybe a re-look at the present glasses for reading.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Thank you i will give it a try if it works i will get back on and accept. i know you cant work for free and appreciate your time.

You are welcome.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist