Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Since last we corres my wife has been diagnosed hyperactive

Since last we corres my wife has been diagnosed hyperactive thyroidism of the eyes caused by the reaction to the iodine, muscles behind eye are affected,been scanned slight bulging of the eyes and double vision.
Taking steriods in various amounts. Not much reaction to double vision it still bothering her now for 4-5 weeks.Has prism for one eye of her glasses to counter this. Considerable weight gain on body and face. could this be heredetory her maternal grand father lost eye with some disease we dont know the cause.?
what do you think of her prognosis going forward?
We have the specialists here not quite knowing the outcome! They dont see many with this problem Any suggestions.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe trying to correlate your wife Graves disease with some unknown eye disease in her maternal grandfather is possible. Who knows what that family member had over a century ago? The good news, however, is that much has been learned about Graves disease in the last few decades

Dr. Rick :

The steroids will cause your wifes weight gain and this is to be expected. If it is a large problem you could discuss the possible addition of "steroid sparing" medicines to try and lower the steroid dose, if possible.

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to tell the future, even for us doctors :) There are a number of things that can be done for your wife's orbital disease, both medical and surgical. It is important that while she is in the active phase of her disease process she be followed closely by an ophthalmologist for any evidence of corneal exposure, optic nerve compression etc.

Dr. Rick :

If you are having a problem finding ophthalmologists in your area knowledgeable about Graves disease you might consider contacting someone at Moorefields Eye Hospital, since I see you are in the UK). I'm sure they will be able to hook you up with a physician comfortable treating your wifes condition.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k