Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I suffered a stroke in December 2009 - of the right

Customer Question

I suffered a stroke in December 2009 - of the right occipital lobe, I was told. Initially, I had very wierd visual symptoms - images/people dancing around. I had to take down all the Christmas decorations because they were too much for me to handle.
My vision improved somewhat, though my ophalmologist said I was legally blind. For the past 4 weeks, my vision has worsened and everything is very blurry. Why am I getting worse? What can I do to improve my sight, even a little bit?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. First of all, let me say how sorry I am that this has happened to you. What you are going through is a very difficult life adjustment.

To start out with, you are already doing one of the best things you can do to keep your vision, which is to keep using it. So many people when they lose some vision start to give up and not try and this tends to, for whatever reason, lead to a worse prognosis.

I will tell you, though, that with an occipital lobe stroke, there is very little that you can do that you are not already doing to improve the vision. The prisms are not world-changers, but can be helpful. In addition, you may consider seeing a low-vision specialist, usually an optometrist that specializes in persons who have lost significant vision. This person can evaluate you individually to find out what kinds of vision aids can be the best help for you. If you are having trouble identifying a low-vision specialist, call the closest academic medical center's ophthalmology (eye) department and ask them to give you the information for the low-vision specialists they use.

Now if the vision is distinctively worsening, that is something to see your ophthalmologist about because I would not expect that this should be worsening this far out from your stroke. If there is worsening of the vision, then it may be due to cataracts, macular degeneration or glaucoma (if not a change in the need for glasses) and this is something that should be addressed very soon--you of all people need to keep what vision you've had.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.