Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have recently developed a yellow film like coating on the

Customer Question

I have recently developed a yellow film like coating on the white of my eye at the inside corner It is also bloodshot due to my rubbing it. I have been to see nurse practitioner within my local doctors practice and she has taken a swab to check for any infection. She gave me chloramphenicol ointment for conjuctivitis but have been using this since Monday but have not seen any improvement in this eye as yet. Eyesight does not seem to be affected.
Could you advise me as to what this might be and the cause.
Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I see you have entered the chat room. Are you online?

Dr. Rick :

yup. does it look sorta like this?

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

I see you have gone offline......

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

The last picture is one that is more inflamed from rubbing it etc.

Dr. Rick :

You most likely have a pinguecula. This is not an infection and does not require antibiotics.

Customer:

It looks more like the last picture you sent where the eye is inflamed

Dr. Rick :

ok.

Customer:

Can you tell me what, if any, treatment there is for the above and what exactly is it, what causes it

Dr. Rick :

This is just a non-cancerous change in the skin on your eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime of UV exposure. They can become red and irritated, like yours has, from dust, rubbing, contact lenses etc. You can help to get rid of the redness with soothing eye drops such as natural tears. If the redness is really bothering you a short course of FML eye drops, one drop 4x/day for a week should clear the redness up. Do not use "get the red out" drops such as visine, as this just makes things worse.

Dr. Rick :

Another simple thing that can help is lid scrubs.

. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Customer:

I feel that the ointment that I am using from doctor is actually irritating the eye more and seems to be making the eyelid red and puffy as well.

Dr. Rick :

They can be removed with simple excision in the minor OR suite at an ophthalmologists office but they tend to come back -- sometimes with a vengeance

Dr. Rick :

That is why nurse practitioners shouldn't try to play ophthalmologist :)

Dr. Rick :

I would stop the ointment....it, as you have found out, will only make things worse

Dr. Rick :

and, if for some strange reason something should grow on her culture of your conjunctiva (it will probably be a staph if anything) make sure you ignore it and don't let her start you on any antibiotics

Customer:

Thanks for your help and advice

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Here is a good web page about pinguecula:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.mneye.com/minneapolis-minnesota/eye-disorders/pinguecula.htm

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Have a good day.