Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a half moon distortion in my vision on the right side

- some wavy distortion in...
i have a half moon distortion in my vision on the right side - some wavy distortion in a simi circle shape on the right side of what ever i'm looking at. this happend 1 wk. ago with some loss of vision. i have it again now - also some starburst in lower right corner
1/15/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

how long did the episode last when it occurred a week ago?

Customer:

10 min approx

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your symptoms is an ocular migraine

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes - i think i have heard of it

Dr. Rick :

Like I said above, it is nothing to worry about :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss about your symptoms?

Customer:

i did have a mild eye ache for a few hours the 1st time - i have also noted my right eye has become less symetrical - i have a scheduled routine eye exam sched. for next month - any reason to move it up?

Dr. Rick :

no. I think that will be fine. Just mention these episodes to your ophthalmologist during your visit just to be complete....

Dr. Rick :

Ache around the eye is not unusual with these events

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Customer:

yes - thanks for the information - it was very helpful and i did have true migranes in my eary teens - so what you say makes sense

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Have a wonderful afternoon watching the Packers crush the Falcons today. ;o)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD