Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My 5 year old daughter has a bump under her eye that looks

to be a clogged duct...
My 5 year old daughter has a bump under her eye that looks to be a clogged duct or allergy irritation?
1/12/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes, thank you.

Dr. Rick :

has you daughter been seen by an ophthalmologist or just a peds MD?

Customer:

just her pediatrian 3 times. we don't have medical insurance and we pay her cash.

Customer:

the doctor said with the meds not working, it's time to go to a specialist, $240. just to walk in.

Dr. Rick :

I think we can try something first before you go to the eye specialist...and I wish I practiced in your town...I don't get paid that much to see a 5 year olds bumpy eyelids :o)

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of a bump on a kids lids that doesn't respond to antibiotics is a chalazion or a stye. Sometimes, as your peds MD is thinking, they need to be opened and drained.....but sometimes simple home treatments can solve the problem

Customer:

I am willing to try something new. The bump is actually below her eyes. It started with the L and is now in the R as well. They look like mini lemon wedges...causing me to think it may be an allergy? We first thought Chalazion..that wasn't it.humm

Customer:

She did mention draining them...a doctor with a needle...

Dr. Rick :

Sorry that took so long, I'm using my daughters laptop and had to find my handouts I loaded on a flash drive so I could send it to you.....here it is.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Customer:

She also thought it was a stye and it did look like the pictures but now it is swollen on both sides...not so much thinking a stye anymore and yes, doctors charge a lot around here...the ped only charges me $100 each time...it's the specialist that adds the fee..

Dr. Rick :

Draining with a needle won't work....needs to be incised -- if the above treatment doesn't make things better in a week or so. It might take many weeks for the bump to go all the way away but it should start feeling better in a couple of days.

Dr. Rick :

It could spread to involve both sides.....not unusual.

Customer:

Even though it

Customer:

not on her eye lid but below?

Dr. Rick :

how far below the lid? All the way on her cheek?

Customer:

can I upload a picture? this online Q and A is very savvy. It's just below the eye on both side..almost lining the lower lash line?

Dr. Rick :

yes, there are many ways to upload a picture. This one works well if the picture is on your computer:

Customer:

humm, I would have to take a photo with my phone and upload...

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer:

does anything else come to mind being below the eye?

Dr. Rick :

That would be the most common. "Bad" things usually don't turn up below the eyelid on an otherwise healthy 5 year old....at least not bad things that a peds MD would miss.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you're taking a picture.....I'll wait.

Customer:

I am taking the picture and uploading...thank you...

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

for some reason this is a challenge. i don't want to hold you up, i think i am almost there...

Dr. Rick :

no hurry. The Wife is cooking dinner and it will be a bit yet.

Customer:

http://i52.tinypic.com/20q0wuu.jpg here you go! she even has a little tear on her cheek, poor girl.

Dr. Rick :

ok, be right back.

Customer:

thank you!

Dr. Rick :

Very good picture mom.

Customer:

thanks! the ick shows itself well. i just want to fix my baby girl!

Dr. Rick :

Yup. I am 99.9756% sure that is a chalazion....why peds MD's want to treat these things with antibiotics is hard for me to understand :o(

Dr. Rick :

Try the above treatment. It may take a week or so to start looking better and, if it hasn't really improved in a couple of weeks and you are getting tired of dealing with it you could go to an ophthalmologist to have it incised and drained.

Customer:

I think she went to meds because I was in her office once a week for a month trying to get a different answer/solution out of her...she said Chalazion first and try hot compress and fish oil vitamins...that was in October...now we are in January and I am at a loss...

Dr. Rick :

The only problem with that is almost all 5 year olds will need brief general anesthesia to have that done as just the thought of having a numbing shot put near their eyelid is enough to send 'em into a tizzy.

Dr. Rick :

don't need the fish oil. Just baby shampoo and really hot compresses

Dr. Rick :

Very cute daughter I might add....and this coming from a Dad who has 3 daughter...although they are all grown up and out of the nest now.

Customer:

O.k, will do. She doesn't complain about it as much as the teachers at school do. She's my first and only, I wanted to be sure beyond the doctor I am doing my 'motherly duties'. I REALLY appreciate your time and help on this. I will sleep better tonight knowing I did my research. Enjoy your dinner!! Take care and Thanks a million!!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Tell the teachers to quit freaking out 'cuz you had an ophthalmologist tell them that they're not gonna catch anything from this little bump ;)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

THANK YOU!!

Dr. Rick :

It has been a pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

bye

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
k
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD