Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what exactly is an eye membrane and what can be done to remove

Customer Question

what exactly is an eye membrane and what can be done to remove one?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

there are a couple of things that are called membranes in the eye. One of the common ones is an epiretinal membrane. This would cause macular pucker and decreased vision. Does this sound like what you are thinking of?

JACUSTOMER-mk8ifoii- :

yes

Dr. Rick :

Hi. are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. An epiretinal membrane, when it has decreased the vision to a certain point -- usually around 20/40, can be removed with intraocular surgery by a retina specialist

Dr. Rick :

In this surgery, small incisions are made into the back of your eye under anesthesia (sometimes local anesthesia, sometimes general anesthesia...) and the vitreous jelly is removed. The membrane, which is attached to your retina/macula, is carefully "peeled" away. The eye is then filled up with special salt solution and the incisions closed with small stitches.

Dr. Rick :

What are the risks of this surgery? Well, like any other surgery there is the risk of infection, macular hole formation, retinal detachment (about 2% of cases) and cataract formation.

Dr. Rick :

Other then surgery, there is no way to treat this problem.....no diet. No exercise. No standing on your head with one foot pointing North :) Here is a nice web page that discusses this:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.retinaphysicians.com/epiretinal-membranes.php

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k