Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had a corneal ulcer some 3 years ago and now have on going

Customer Question
Hello, I had a corneal ulcer...
I had a corneal ulcer some 3 years ago and now have on going irritation in this eye
I wear a gas perm lens in the eye and try to wear it only 10 hours at a time
My eye burns all of the time
I have tried daily soft lenses and every over the counter drop I can find
The cornea has a large "scar" and my eye is always very red
I would like to wear glasses but i had radial keratotomy in the non effected eye and that eye has much better vision than the eye that had the corneal ulcer
Every configuration of eyeglasses I have tried just left me "dizzy" as the two eyes are so very different
Any recommendations for this ?
Thank you , Aimee
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

Did not receive your answer

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Are you available for chat?

Dr. James :

Hello?

Dr. James
I checked, accepted, thinking I was accepting an offer to accept the answer
sorry I did not get your answer
Are you needing additional information?
Thank you
Hello.

Do you currently wear gas permeable lenses or do you wear soft contact lenses?
Do your eyes feel irritated when you don't have lenses in your eyes?
What is the degree of your astigmatism?
Thank you Dr. James
Yes, I wear a gas permeable lens in the affected eye
And yes, they do feel somewhat irritated even without the lens
my eye tends to have a lot of redness on a regular basis.
of course more irritation thru out the day as I wear a lens
I know I am quite astigmatic... to what degree, I do not know
Aimee
Thank you Aimee.

Unfortunately, corneal ulcers can leave a rough irregular surface. Rigid gas permeable contact lens are better than soft contact lenses in these situation because it can vault over the irregular areas.

If the area of irregularity is large, you may consider a larger RGP. These are called scleral RGP lenses. Your optometrist should be able to fit them or refer you to a specialty contact lens provider.
Dr. James
My response is above. If you have any other questions, I am happy to answer them for you.

Dr. James
Dr. James