How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a prolapse of my right upper eyelid that started

Customer Question

I have a prolapse of my right upper eyelid that started three years ago and was just a slight dip. Have gone to eye dr. (and neurologist) and both say it's not nerve issue. Neurologist suggested I see a mallofaxial dr. b/c I might not be "draining behind the eye". Not sure what that means. I just want to run to the plastic surgeon and get an eyelift. Other eye is just fine (I'm 41 years old). I do note, however, that when I eat salty food or drink alcohol, it looks even worse. Any suggestions/advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. It is not uncommon for one eyelid to be asymmetric from the other and therefore see one prolapse more than the other one. Your observation that it is more pronounced after ingesting salt and/or alcohol makes sense as you tend to retain more water with these and extra fluid will collect in places that are already stretched. I agree in that this does not sound like it is related to any nerve issue, though.
If the prolapse has been stable for a while (ie, not completely disappearing and then coming back strong, different from the vacillations seen with salt/alcohol ingestion) then I think seeing am Oculoplastics specialist would be the best thing to get a surgical evaluation to see if that is the best course of action.
Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions I did not address?
I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, very informative. Is an Oculoplastics specialist the same as mallofaxial dr.? Sounds like I should just get a lift and go straight to plastic surgeon. Also, is it possible that I have to much "collagen" behind that eyelid for whatever reason and it can be drained and not necessarily lifted?
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Actually an Oculoplastics is an ophthalmologist specially trained in plastics and so this precisely the specialist to see. They could evaluate for anything else going on and also do that lift probably better than a general plastic surgeon.
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Usually having too much collagen is not an issue. It may be that there is some extra orbital fat that is garnishing through which can and often is removed during this lift procedure.
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Sorry. My auto-correct feature got the best of me. That should say herniating, not garnishing. Sorry.