Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was opening a toothbrush and yanked the toothbrush out of

I was opening a toothbrush and yanked the toothbrush out of the back of the package. It wripped the package and the back plastic shot up into my left eye. At first it made a red spot on the white area of my eye and it was bloodshot sort of. Now when I look at it in the mirror close up there is a bump on my eye and its very red. Shoul I see a doctor or just leave it alone??
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

hello

Dr. Rick :

Is your eye painful?

Customer:

when I blink it hurts

Customer:

it sort of aches

Customer:

I huess I ws just wondering if it would go away on its own

Customer:

or if I should get it seen

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you might have made a small scratch or cut on your conjunctiva. This is the thin "skin" that covers most of your eyeball. The bleeding has caused a small hemorrhage.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

does that heal itself

Dr. Rick :

I think it will be ok. The risk of infection is very, very low in this case. Let me give you a little info on a subconjuctival hemorrhage:

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Customer:

okay thank you

Dr. Rick :

It should heal ok by itself. I'm assuming you are unable to see a large "flap" or cut on your eye, correct?

Customer:

yes up close it looks like a little bump

Customer:

damn plastic!!!

Dr. Rick :

that is probably the cut. This usually heals ok by itself. If your eye starts to hurt more or you have any vision issues you should see an ophthalmologist

Customer:

okay

Dr. Rick :

ya...why do they put stuff in those impossible to open packages anyway?

Customer:

I mean!!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

geez

Dr. Rick :

I know!

Customer:

thanks again

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. It is safe to press that pretty green button now..... ;o)

Customer:

okay hahaaaa

Dr. Rick :

have a good day