Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

When I was I has surgey on my left eye for correction

When I was young I has surgey on my left eye for correction purposes. The doctors never did anything to my right eye, they told my parents that it would correct it self from the other eye's sergery. My question is now when I workout and even last year when I would play in a football game. My right eye crosses inwards towards my nose, and it does not go away until sometime, and usally not til after I sleep. I wanted to know what it might be and what my options are?
Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

hi

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Customer:

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Do you know exactly what problem you had before the eye surgery?
How old were you?
When your right eye crosses, do you see double?
Does it cross every day?

Customer:

about 6 yrs old I was born with bad vison and my eyes were crossed

Customer:

it only crosses when I work out or play sports

Customer:

I can tell that my right eye is inwards a bit but not bad double vison

Customer:

only when I concentrate on my right do I notice the split in vison

Dr. James :

How is the vision in the right eye?

Customer:

last time I checked it was 20 25 bit it been about 13 years, have not notice drop in vision over the years, I dont wear glasses, I havent since then

Dr. James :

It appears your had crossed eyed as a child or esotropia. The surgery at that time made them straight again. In some people, the crossed eyes or esotropia can come back.

Dr. James :

Though not as bad as before.

Dr. James :

I'd recommend you see an ophthalmologist for evaluation and check to see how misaligned your eyes are. Sometimes, glasses is all you need. If it is crossed all the time, then surgery may be considered again.

Customer:

so glasses may help my eye go back after workouts faster then with just rest?

Dr. James :

Possibly, but it is may help your eyes stay aligned in the first place while working out.

Customer:

so perscription goggles then, possiable, its hard to do work out with the sweat and stuff with glasses

Dr. James :

Yes, possible. It depends on how easily the eyes tend to cross. This can be assessed by your eye doctor.

Customer:

Ok thank you, ***** ***** time and answers

Dr. James :

You are welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.