Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

How common are choroidal nevi? I have been told that I have

How common are choroidal nevi...
How common are choroidal nevi? I have been told that I have them in both eyes. The one in the right eye I knew about. But, the left eye is a new report. I was seen by a different doctor this time. So I wonder if that has something to do with it. She told me all of them were small and faint and was not worried about them at all.
Are these things being found more often because of better equipment?
Normally I would not be worried about this. But, I am a Kidney cancer survivor. And, that is always in the back of my head whenever I get any medical results that are anything but perfect.
1/5/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yeas

Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist I see them a lot, but my experience is most likely skewed

Customer:

Do you see people with multiple?

Dr. Rick :

Being a kidney cancer survivor, and having undergone chemo etc you are wise to be concerned. Of course, the greatest fear is that what the ophthalmologist is seeing is not a nevi at all, but rather an intraocular melanoma

Customer:

I would be more worried about it being metastic disease

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is not uncommon to see people who have multiple nevi in one eye, or to have them in both eyes.

Customer:

Great!

Customer:

That is the nugger I was after

Customer:

nugget I mean

Dr. Rick :

Metastatic disease doesn't normally look anything like a nevi. The vast majority of ophthalmologists would not mix the two of these up.

Customer:

That is another nugget I was after!

Customer:

I am sure my doct and I will follow them

Dr. Rick :

Did the ophthalmologist take a picture of them? Do you know how far out in the periphery they were located?

Customer:

No picture

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

The one in the right eye I think was on the periphery

Customer:

I am going back to get more info

Customer:

In usually talk about the right eye

Dr. Rick :

did the doctor press on your eye with a metal stick when looking at your retina with the bright light on her head and holding the large magnifying lens in her hand?

Dr. Rick :

Here is a nice web page on Nevi?

Customer:

Shhe did not do the metal stick but she did do the large magnifyig glass

Dr. Rick :

Then she didn't look all the way out in the periphery....no big deal. Most general ophthalmologists don't look out as far as us retina docs do :o)

Customer:

She was not worried at all

Customer:

I was just a little worried because there was more than one

Dr. Rick :

then I would be concerned that it was a met or a melanoma

Dr. Rick :

ment to type "would not..."

Dr. Rick :

my fingers are getting old....

Customer:

Had me worried there for a micorsecond

Customer:

(;-)

Dr. Rick :

;)

Customer:

I am going to get her report and talk to here a little more. She got me out of there pretty quick.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a good idea. It seems like you are in good hands with this doc

Dr. Rick :

If she is worried she will send you to a retina doc for a second opinion. And then you will find out how uncomfortable a depressed retina exam can really be ;)

Customer:

Yeah, I will let you go. She was not worried at all by what she saw. But, I do want some more info. The fact that there can be multiple and mets look different does help!!

Customer:

Thank you!!

Customer:

And, don't worry there will be follow up no matter what!

Dr. Rick :

It is my pleasure. If you get a picture of these nevi you can upload them from your computer and I'd be happy to have a look at 'em for you.

Customer:

I will check on that!

Customer:

Good night and thanks!!

Dr. Rick :

Good night to you too.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Dr. Rick,

FYI I made an appoitment with an opthamologist just to be sure and get some baseline pictures taken. I think the first person who saw me was an optometrist.

Good idea. With quality pictures it will be possible to notice any changes early. In the vast majority of cases choroidal nevi are nothing to worry about....
Thanks for the update. Have a great day.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD