Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Just more of a curiosity question than anything else. I was

Just more of a curiosity question than anything else. I was born with what appeared to be a sliver missing out of my right eye. The pupil does not form a perfect circle, rather it looks like the video game character PacMan. I've always been called PacMan eye or PieEye. I have 20/20 vision, and no issue with my eyes, no pain or vision issues (I'm 32 years old).
I was just curious if this has a name? How common/uncommon is it? Here is a link to a pic so you can see for yourself. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2012466&l=69c182ccf1&id=1345610216
Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

Hello

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Customer:

Agreed.

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

I just saw the picture.

Dr. James :

It appears to be a piece of iris (colored part of eye) over-riding the edge.

Customer:

yes, upon closer inspection -the iris overlaps in a triangular piece

Dr. James :

I don't believe it has a specific name. The closest thing would be something called "PPM" or persistent pupillary membrane.

Dr. James :

during development, the hole in the iris is covered and needs to form.

Dr. James :

In some people, the development of the round pupil is not complete and may leave behind some irregularities.

Dr. James :

It is generally of no significance.

Dr. James :

You should have regular eye exam to ensure there are no changes to it.

Customer:

Interesting. I figured there was no significance, but wondered more about it. Kinda fascinating

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you?

Customer:

No, thank you Dr. James - you were very helpful. I was unable to gain any insight from Google! :)

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.