Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Can a diet with large meat intake and supplement protein

Can a diet with large meat intake and supplement protein shakes have a negative effect on the eyes? Specifically, the cornea.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

hi

JACUSTOMER-el8zoh9y- :

yes

Dr. Rick :

how long have you been on this diet?

JACUSTOMER-el8zoh9y- :

I need you to know that I am writing about my son who refuses to believe that his diet could be one reason for his sight problems. I am scared to think what is happening to him. He is in his mid 30's and live in a different state but he works out, weights only and supplements his beef intake with whey protein shakes and a multiple vitamin. He has been on this or similar diets for approx. 10 years.

Dr. Rick :

ok. Thanks for that information.

Dr. Rick :

This diet, even for the long time he has been on it, should not cause any problems with his eyes, including his cornea. That is, of course, as long as he is still getting the normal amount of vitamins and minerals in his diet. A meat/protein diet supplies these necessary micro-nutrients easier then does a totally vegetarian diet......

Dr. Rick :

the multi vitamin should have him more then covered when it comes to nutrition needed for the health of the retina etc.

JACUSTOMER-el8zoh9y- :

The only vegetables he eats are salads, spinach and green beans. He is allergic to poultry and his problem is with both corneas. They are discussing transplants. What causes these symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

Ya, I didn't understand what would be going on with "special contact lens for shaking images...." Doesn't make any sense.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of reasons for a cornea transplant.....none of them that would be treated with contact lenses....

Dr. Rick :

special contacts in an eye that is heading toward cornea transplant would be seen in keratoconus....

Dr. Rick :

in advanced keratoconus only contacts -- not glasses, are able to improve vision...

JACUSTOMER-el8zoh9y- :

Thanks for the name of the disease. I had forgotten. Do the contacts only improve? Will he still need to have a transplant in the future?

Dr. Rick :

in many patients contacts can give excellent vision for many years, sometimes for life. If the keratoconus continues to get worse there comes a point where the contacts can't make up for the very, very steep corneal curvature. Also, the cone can get a scar on it which blocks vision even worse. These are two of the reasons corneal transplants are done in these patients.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, corneal transplants are very,very successful in keratoconus patients at restoring excellent vision.

Dr. Rick :

one brand of special contacts used in keratoconus are called soper lenses

JACUSTOMER-el8zoh9y- :

Thank you so much for your time and response. My only other concern is whatever caused this to happen, will it come back after the transplant and do you have any recommendations for a good doctor in Los Angeles.

Dr. Rick :

Keratoconus does not tend to come back in the transplant. What caused it to happen? Nothing that we know of, not his diet etc. There is probably a genetic component to the disease.

Dr. Rick :

Any fellowship trained cornea specialist should be able to do a corneal transplant in her sleep.....and I bet there are a passel of 'em in LA :o)

JACUSTOMER-el8zoh9y- :

Thank you for your response. Please have a safe, healthy and happy new year.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
have a safe and happy 2011