Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Hiw can I get rid of an eye stye that I have had for four

days? the lid is really...
hiw can I get rid of an eye stye that I have had for four days? the lid is really swollen
1/3/2011
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Hello and thanks for your question. Most styes will go away with doing hot compresses 4x/day, 10 minutes each time, as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin (it should stay that hot the entire 10 minutes), but it may take up to 2-3 weeks of doing that before it goes away; you should also massage the bump while the hot compress is on it. If after 2-3 weeks it has not resolved then it may need to be cut open by your ophthalmologist if you want it gone still.

Now that being said, if the swelling gets dramatically worse, is accompanied by redness and even fever, or if there is significant yellowish-greenish discharge from the eye or the eye becomes significantly red or the vision starts to become significantly affected, then you should see your ophthalmologist right away as these are signs of possible infection.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

there was some puss that came out of it yesterday and it is red. Would it benfit to see a regular GP in stead as our local eye doctor is closed today?

I think if it is draining, then that is the desired effect and you should continue with the hot compresses, but if it stops draining and becomes more red and painful or is accompanied by fevers, then a trip to the GP should be in order.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.