How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently have been having some lower eyelid swelling and

Resolved Question:

I recently have been having some lower eyelid swelling and discomfort, clear drainage at night, no redness. I noticed this about ten days ago and have ben treating with Neomycin and polymyxin B Sulfates and dexametasone ointment. I had some of my own semen accidently get in my eye a day or two before symptoms started. I have a bump on eyelid also, more like a red spot. I have been tested for std's over a year ago and all negative, but was diagnosed having Epidimytis. Could this have caused this? Anything else possible? I have also had sinus problems, pressure in forehead and on top, Coincidence?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I do have to say that I've not encountered that possible foreign-body in the eye before, but considering the bump on the eyelid as well as lower eyelid swelling and discomfort, I suspect that this is related to that bump and that you are experiencing a stye, which is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid. The oil spills out in the eyelid itself, inciting an immune reaction which causes the swelling and discomfort.

While I suppose it's possible that the semen in your eye was the cause, I think it is probably unlikely. I would recommend treating this stye as any other stye: hot compresses. But it may take more intensive treatment than you've been doing. Most styes will go away with doing hot compresses 4x/day, 10 minutes each time, as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin (it should stay that hot the entire 10 minutes), but it may take up to 2-3 weeks of doing that before it goes away; you should also massage the bump while the hot compress is on it. If after 2-3 weeks it has not resolved then it may need to be cut open by your ophthalmologist if you want it gone still.

Now that being said, if the swelling gets dramatically worse, is accompanied by redness and even fever, or if there is significant yellowish-greenish discharge from the eye or the eye becomes significantly red or the vision starts to become significantly affected, then you should see your ophthalmologist right away as these are signs of possible infection.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If i go to see an eye doctor, will they normally check for infection and verify by culture before treatment or go ahead and treat first? I am kind of embarrassed to tell Doc face to face about the semen thing, should I say anything or let it go? Wouldnt I have noticable signs if it was an STD causing inflamation?
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
I think if you bother to go to see an eye doctor then you should just tell them; most doctors have heard of just about anything and are used to it; don't let it embarrass yourself. But yes, if that's what you want to do, then let them know you think you should be cultured for an STD. But with that bump there I think it is unlikely that it is. However, I'm kind of a better-to-be-safe-than-sorry kind of guy. I would think, however, that if this were say a gonorrhea or chlamydia that your eyeball itself would show much more signs of inflammation than just a swollen eyelid.
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you