Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a contact in my right eye, the pupil in that eye is a

Customer Question
little smaller than than the...
I have a contact in my right eye, the pupil in that eye is a little smaller than than the left. Is that normal? Actually this may have always been the case but just noticed it
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
1/2/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes, i am

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

A small difference in the size of your pupils is not a problem. This is called physiologic anisocoria and is not a sign of a more serious problem.

Customer:

Does the contact in one eye make a difference

Dr. Rick :

no. that shouldn't hurt anything.

Customer:

I guess what I want clarified is whether or not a contact in the one eye could be the reason for the small size difference in that eye

Customer:

I chose to have one contact in my eye rather than have lasik surgery since I could tolerate the contact, Works well. I have no other symptoms and feel pretty well. I am a nurse and you know how that can be. You know just enough to scare yourself

Dr. Rick :

no. Wearing one contact, such as in monovision, would not be expected to cause the small size difference in pupil size. It may be, just as you stated, that you have recently noticed it while you were dealing with your contacts. It is within normal variations to have up to a millimeter difference in your pupils -- and a millimeter looks like a large amount when you are talking about pupil size!

Dr. Rick :

It is the same with being an ophthalmologist and your kids get sick :o)

Customer:

I had an eye exam six months ago. have had the one contact for 5 years now and don't know why I noticed it now. But you have made me feel better. It isn't as though it is really a huge amount of size change, sometimes I have to really look at it. But thank you so much. I am satis fied with your answer and I wish you a happy new year

Dr. Rick :

It is my pleasure. You have a great 2011 also

Customer:

Bye Bye thank you

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

bye...

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
k
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD