Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Can retinal hemorrhage be a complication of wet AMD, and if

Can retinal hemorrhage be a complication of wet AMD, and if so, how often? Can repeated intraviteal injections of avastin cause retinal hemorrhage in a patient on Plavix and aspirin for a recent TIA? Trust answer will come from a retinologist or ophthalmologist.
Hello and thanks for your question. I am an ophthalmologist and am familiar with these intravitreal injections. While it is logical to assume that having one or more if these injections while on an anticoagulant could lead to intraretinal hemorrhage, it is in fact quite rare. A research article published just a couple of months ago invent journal Retina documented a rare incidence of hemorrhagic complications from intravitreal Avastin injections in those patients currently on anticoagulation. This is the link to the web address that displays the abstract for that study if you are interested: http://mobile.journals.lww.com/retinajournal/_layouts/oaks.journals.mobile/abstractviewer.aspx?year=2010&issue=10000&article=00005. Does that help address your question? Do you have any further questions or concerns I can help you with? I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more aquestions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Sorry that didn't appear.

Here's the reference:

Mason, John O III MD; Frederick, Paul A BS; Neimkin, Michael G BS; White, Milton F Jr MD; Feist, Richard M MD; Thomley, Martin L MD; Albert, Michael A Jr MD

Retina . 30(9):1386-1389, October 2010.

Hope that's helpful.