Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I suddenly had a black spot in my right eye on the inside

Customer Question

I suddenly had a black spot in my right eye on the inside that is impairing my vision. It happened on Tues. when I was on vacation in the Bahamas. I am home now and am wondering if I should wait until Mon. to see a Dr. or should I go to the emergency room. One doctor at urgent care said I could wait until Mon. What is your opinion.
Sheree
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with the urgent care MD -- you should be ok until Monday. A visit to the emergency room, unless you could be evaluated by an ophthalmologist, would be of very little value.

Dr. Rick :

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am concerned because it does seem to be like a shadow or veil that is on the left side of my right eye. If it is a retina detachment, is there anything I should avoid doing until I see a doctor? Can a retina detach for seemingly no reason?

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Your new information changes things considerably. If it seems like a shadow is going across your visual field, or a curtain/veil, it is very possible that you are a having a retinal detachment. The fact that you still have good vision means your macula, the very important center part of your retina, is not involved -- yet.

You should call the local emergency room right now and have them help you see an ophthalmologist ASAP. This should not wait until Monday for any reason.....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
I will be thinking positive thoughts for you :o)

Let me know how things turn out if you have the chance.....