Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Today i began having black spots (some out of focus - and 1

a sharply focused dot) floating...
Today i began having black spots (some out of focus - and 1 a sharply focused dot) floating in the vision of my left eye.
This evening after my 3 meter diving practice (i'm 65 and just began diving again) , in addition to the spots, i now have this flashing semi-circle of light on the left extreme edge of my field of vision in the left eye. It only happens when i move my eye quickly to the left and right. It doesn't happen when i move it slowly, or when i move it up and down.
The spots only started today and it was 3 days ago that i started diving again. From the 3 meter board my head does slap the water pretty hard when i don't get my hands together in from of me.
12/23/2010
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in that eye?

Customer:

Relatively good. i wear bifocals some of the time but mostly just need close to medium distance correction. i'm working now on the computer with only an over the counter pair of 2.0 reading glasses.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

Alright. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

You are welcome

Customer:

i will make an appointment tomorrow.

Dr. Rick :

They should be able to get you in right away.....I always leave spots open in my schedule for new onset PVD with flashes

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Certainly!

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD