Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 60 y o retired dentist due to recurrent Central

Hi. I am a 60 y o retired dentist due to recurrent Central Serous Retinopathy along with macular bleeding and a detached retina corrected with a buckle 15 years ago. Present corrected vision is 20/300 both eyes. Question: Probably due to (or compunded by) my buckle procedure, which decreased the size of the eye, I have eyebrow sag in that eye causing a unilteral drooping lid. I am planing on having plastic surgery of an eyebrow lift to correct (or improve) this, without any upper lid surgery. The only concern I have is of a complication involving incomplete closure of the lids post-op. What is the chance of this happening from an eyebrow lift alone (unilateral)? Or is this complication more often from lid surgery? Thank you.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat this morning?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

there?

Dr. Rick :

hi

Dr. Rick :

sorry about that, I had to start getting ready to go to the office.....

Customer:

hi

Dr. Rick :

Lagophthalmos is a risk of even having a eyebrow lift alone, but like you noted, it is much less of a risk then if you have the upper lid surgery combined. Sometimes the surgeon shoots for a small amount of incomplete closure for the first few days following the surgery, knowing that when the swelling resolves the lid will in a good position

Dr. Rick :

Just an aside, my entire family are DDS. My dad and uncle are general DDS and my other uncle is a peridontist. One uncle had to stop practice due to age related macular degeneration a few years back.

Customer:

ok. i am just concerned that en eyebrow lift might cause permanent lid incomplete closure. As there are never guarantees, how likely is this?

Customer:

wow - a lot in common. I practiced in Boston

Dr. Rick :

In the hands of an experienced surgeon? Not high enough to worry about. In any event, if there is a problem post op, it is "easy" go back in and fix things.....

Dr. Rick :

All my family are in Mpls Mn

Customer:

now that's a relief. i appreciate your response. Have a great day.

Customer:

MN? Sorry to hear it :)

Dr. Rick :

As a child my dad made me "test" all the new fluoride flavors-- yuk! But, in 50 years I've never had a cavity.....

Customer:

I have a dental friend in Minneapolis. Jon Tessar

Dr. Rick :

ya....but less traffic across the bridges....

Dr. Rick :

Huh. I'll ask my dad if he knows him. My dad is 77 years old and still practices 4 days/wk...he started his practice in 1958

Customer:

i practiced 1975 - 1995 in Boston. Now in Boca Raton, FL. Thanks

Dr. Rick :

I figure the longer he works the less of my inheritance he spends :o)

Customer:

wise thinking

Dr. Rick :

Weird. My mom retired to DelRay beach

Customer:

so did my mom. and my retina doc , who i saw yesterday, practices there

Dr. Rick :

I'm a retina doc

Customer:

i read your bio. my retina, Dave Snyder, did a fellowship at Mass Eye and now is in Delray

Dr. Rick :

It is a small world, eh?

Customer:

smaller as we get older. OK, go to work, and nice chatting

Dr. Rick :

So. Did your answer get taken care of in all this fun chatting?

Customer:

yes, enormously. thanks

Dr. Rick :

Will do. Best of luck to you. Enjoy all the good weather...

Customer:

that's why I moved - only reason.

Dr. Rick :

I'll talk to my Dad and see if he knows Jon.....he knows everyone in Mpls as he's never lived anywhere else, except for a stint in the Air Force

Customer:

ok. thank you. be well. i appreciate your hlp. bye

Dr. Rick :

Off to work I go so the kids can get new shoes for winter....

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Very nice chatting with you.

Dr. Rick :

bye