Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am wearing glasses from teen years and now I am 33.

Hi, I am wearing glasses from teen years and now I am 33. Something around -4.5. That happends a few times a year, that suddenly from nowere I get very bleur and like mixing running pach in my vision. It feels and looks like chaos of of movement. My name is***** look at letters La I will not be ble to see the rest of the letters as they in this running colours pach. When I shut my eyes and keep in dark, I have very sharp chaoticly colourful colous feeling in my eyes. I can take minutes or hours, but then it goes the same way it comes from nowhere and dissapares. Then I have big pain in my eyes or eyeballs and after some time just very tired eyes. Is that normal? Do not go to doctor as it doesnt happens very often. Regards Laura
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are experiencing an ocular migraine. It is nothing to worry about, it's not a sign of some type of terrible disease or brain tumor etc.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k