Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

right eye..close my left eye..out without the aid of my good eye

woke up and looked up at clock and closed my left eye and the right eye was almost completely distorted and I could not read the clock, all was mostly dark with a few various jaggard things all over, this condition I had once before that lasted about one minute and cleared up, this time it has been 3 1/2 hours and I am here on this trying to find some direction, I still close my left eye and the csreen is very distirted with like a white cloud effect on it and I can see background but could not make this out without the aid of my "good" eye

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for the distortion and jagged lines is an ocular migraine. It is, however, very uncommon for it to last 3.5 hrs. Is you left eye completely normal?

Dr. Rick :

The other common cause of central vision distortion in a person your age, that is not associated with any other symptoms and does not clear up is wet age related macular degeneration.

Dr. Rick :

I see you have just come back online......ooops, there you go back offline again.....are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I'll wait a bit to see if you enter the chat room.....

Dr. Rick :

Hi

JACUSTOMER-veg9uq2n- :

yes, i am here..

Dr. Rick :

so. Tell me. Is your left eye normal right now? Is the central distortion still present in your right eye?

JACUSTOMER-veg9uq2n- :

yes, it is

Dr. Rick :

ok

JACUSTOMER-veg9uq2n- :

It at this moment I would best describe it as a like cottage chees in the rt eye, although not totaly white, more opake?

JACUSTOMER-veg9uq2n- :

it is not black in nature as I look through

Dr. Rick :

I think it is important that you get in to see an ophthalmologist this morning if at all possible. There are a number of possible causes for your vision loss, the most likely in my mind, is wet age related macular degeneration. The sooner you get a diagnosis and start treatment the better things will be. Of course, you have to remember that I have been treating severe retina problems all day long for the last 18 years so I tend to be a little bit of an alarmist when it comes to possible retina issues

JACUSTOMER-veg9uq2n- :

it feels as though someone is pressing on the lower lid and this makes it feel funny

JACUSTOMER-veg9uq2n- :

I have called my regular opthalmologist and i am going in this am at 10:30... he ahs never mentioned macular den but i have suspect glaucoma

JACUSTOMER-veg9uq2n- :

I need to clarify that it seems all the eye was distorted when this first happened

Dr. Rick :

That is good. It may not be macular degeneration but a complete eye examination is needed to figure it out. Let me know what he finds. You can send me a PM at no charge on this site, or post to this answer, once you have accepted, at no charge. I'd be interested in what is going on.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

?

k
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will let you know what my Dr. has to say, how do I get in touch with you again?
After you accept this question you can get in touch with me by either requesting me by name on this site or by sending me a PM (private message) on this site.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season. I look forward to hearing from you again in the near future.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick, as per my question on 12/20/2010 about the distortion in my right eye..I went to my Opthalmologist and he found a "blood clot" on the back of my eye, sent me for blood work (sedementdation rate) and will see me back in 2 weeks.

Again thank you for your info, I would not have known to ask a question about another problem had it not been for you.

Thanks for the information. I'm glad you were able to get in promptly for an examination. I hope things improve soon.

Have a Happy Holiday Season.