Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My father is 80 years of age and has just recently

Customer Question
hello.. my father is 80...
hello.. my father is 80 years of age and has just recently experienced vision problems with moving patterns within the eye... he wakes up in the morning and they are ok then as the day progresses he says the "curtain " comes down in stages like looking through shrubery.... he says it comes and goes through the day... he has been to his eye doctor who has suggested it is mucus as all other tests are clear... he is in for cataract surgery in the near future but the eye doctor says this condition is nothing to do with the cataracts.... he also sufffers congested sinus and is always blowing his nose ,,, he smokes and takes little vit.c... i have started him on a course of good strength eye health multivitamins and asked him to stop smoking and drink more water as he drinks little to no water except for his cuppa's... he has managed to reduce his smoking in one day but i do not think giving up is on his agenda... i have googled a site on corneal mucus plaques that is the only web page to describe the lacey patterning he is experiencing... this site suggests dehydration adds to the problem and talks about something like herpes zoster and staph infections also.... it started out in one eye a couple of weeks ago and now is in both eyes.... his eye doctor has no immediate answer except to say it could be transient mucus or he may just have to get used to it...dad is very concerned as my mother has partial blindness and he is her support... now he thinks he is going blind too so he is very upset.... the site i googles says if this is the same condition it will last dadys to a couple of weeks and could re occur... am i on th right track to help him??? thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
12/19/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You father does not have to worry about going blind from this condition. I believe he has a couple of things going on.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

I think that his major problem is the blepharitis and the dry eyes and not so much allergies. I would give the above treatments at least a month to "kick in" and if things have not improved consider the addition of doxycycline 100mg/day for 30 days. Doxycycline has been shown to improve meibomium gland function in addition to it's antibiotic properties

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
k
hello dr rick.. my name is ***** ***** i forgot to include that in the first communication... thanks for the reply.. just confirming that the lace curtaining effect dad is experiencing with his vision is in conjunction with the points you addressed .. dad had a comprehensive eye test with his eye dr last week
preparing for his future cataract surgery but the dr did not give dad an answer to this problem except to say it was probably mucus maybe transient or he would just have to live with it.... your answers are a hopeful path to follow... thankyou .... is this a common thing... have you heard of other cases..... the surgery advice is concerning.... but will take it on board if needed... he is not keen on surgery at all...
stopping smoking will assist this condition? drinking more water and vitamins are the correct course to take? .. thanks we will give it all a go... his eye dr found no complications to his eyes directly to cause the effects he is experiencing... all the tests he ran came out ok and the dr said his cataracts were not causing it....we will try ... g'day from australia!
stopping smoking is a great ideas....good luck trying to get someone your Dad's age to give up the cancer sticks :o)

Drinking more water is also good but won't likely have much of an effect on his eye problem....get him some baby shampoo and put him to work!

I hope to visit your wonderful country someday. Thanks for giving me a chance to help you. Have a wonderful Holiday Season from the folks in Northern Wisconsin
thanks.... got the baby shampoo and the eye drops today and started him on some antihistamines... he says the shapes are moving about and are seeming to come down the front of the eyes... he said he would try anything even cow poo if it helped.... i said i could not get that at the chemist.... so he may be serious enough to at least cut back on the smoking.... thanks for your time... northern wisconsin must be a lovely place too.... welcome to australia when you get a chance,, yes it is a vast and wonderful country...cheers ***** ***** happy christmas to you and your family...keep in contact if you want some aussie friends over here out of work time and i can tell you more about australia.. you can send an out of work email to my email address if you want to keep contact as a friend and i will reply.. for now.. thanks for helping.. it has given dad some hope and he is happier thinking he will not go blind.... donna maria colbrelli adams
my pleasure....and I'm glad they don't sell cowpoop for the eyes downunder. I bet they have some sheep poop though!

you can post your email here and I'll reply but you just have to spell it out or it is blocked.

My best to you and yours during this holiday season....now I must return to the TV and watch the Green Bay Packers continue to kick butt :o)
yeh but the sheep poo is for new zealand..... we are probably more cow poo than sheep... in our area of nsw anyway.. casino is the beef capital of nsw.. that's where i live .. casino nsw... my email address is;
c..for cat o... for orange...l..for love b..for beautiful r.. for red e...for elephant l.. for love l..for love
i..for ivory . a..for apple d..for day a..for apple m.. for mother s...for sunday . [email protected]
hotmail.com.au so no spaces and a dot after my maiden name colbrelli.adams.007 and at the hotmail.
com.au hope you can work that out... otherwise land mail to*****casino nsw 2470 australia and we can go from there.. hope your team kicked a winning butt .... cheers ***** *****
got it. We lost, but did a good job with our second string quarterback....
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD