Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Every morning when I first wake up, my eyes are bloodshot. I

have to use eye drops...
Every morning when I first wake up, my eyes are bloodshot. I have to use eye drops to clear them up. This happened about the same time I developed a rash with red pimple like shapes on my abdomen. Could this be related? I went to see a dermatologist about the rash, but the did not know what it was or ran any blood test. Please help if you can. If it helps any to say, I went to visit a friend in the hospital back in October and about a week later my right eyelid started to swell and went back to normal the next day. About three days later the rash appeared. I was told that it could be MRSA. I know most of this does not pertain to the eyes but that is where it started. I have a doctors appt. Monday.
12/18/2010
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Hello and thanks for your question.
Do you have any discharge coming from the eyes? Do your eyes feel gravelly or burning in sensation when you get up in the morning?
Are you using a get-the-red-out or redness-reliever drops everyday? If so, how many times/day are you using them and for how long have you been using them?
No discharge. sometimes the feel like a burning sensation but only on occasionally.I use the AC relief or real tears.Yes I have to use it every day now for the past two months. About 2 to 3 times a day.
It is entirely possible that the initial reason why your eyes became red was a MRSA infection of the conjunctiva. But I suspect there are a couple of things right now that are causing the eyes to remain red. First the chronic use of these redness reliever drops over time can cause the eyes to stay red. Second it sounds like you have some dry eyes and possibly some eyelid inflammation.
I would recommend stopping the redness reliever drops and switching to an artificial tear without this property to use 3-4x per day, consistently. I would also recommend using hot compresses each morning on your eyes for 10 minutes.
If you've been doing this for a couple of weeks without relief then you may need to see your eye doctor.
Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?
I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.
What is MRSA infection of the conjunctiva? I do not have any inflammation of the eyelids. It only happened that one time and was back to normal in 1-2 days. I still have the rash and it comes and goes. I know this does not pertain to the eyes, but do you think the two could be connected somehow? I know it's a lot to ask but the dermatologist did'nt help much.

MRSA is short for methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (a resistant form of staph aureus bacteria). It can cause an infection of the conjunctiva (or thin, transparent layer of skin overlying the white part of the eye). It is fairly uncommon, but can be picked up in a hospital setting.

As far as the inflammation in the eyelids, it is very common and it is usually not a visibly obvious finding (the eyelids usually don't necessarily appear red and swollen), but the symptoms that the inflammation causes are quite characteristic as your symptoms sound to be.

As far as the rash coming and going, I do not suspect that it is related to the eyes; usually rashes on the abdomen are not related to problems in the eyes. An abdominal rash can sometimes be related to underlying liver or gall bladder disease. Do you a history of hepatitis or heavy alcohol use? Is this rash itchy?

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.