Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have oil glands in my eye that have been blocked since

Customer Question
cataract surgery. Since the...
I have oil glands in my eye that have been blocked since cataract surgery. Since the oil does not mix with the tears my eyes are very irritated. How can I get the oil glands flowing again?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
12/16/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What you are suffering from is called blepharitis and it has a rather simple solution....

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

This is not an instant fix. You should do this for at least 4 weeks before giving up. Also, use natural tears 4 to 6x/day to soothe your eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season.
I have done all of the above and continue doing all of the above but it is not helping me. As I indicated, I use the shampoo, the sterilid, zylet and warm compresses for about 10 minutes. My eyes are still swollen, red and very irritated. Drs. tell me i have blepharitiis but nothing they have suggested is giving me any relief.
If all of the above fail to solve your problem I would suggest you take doxycycline 100 mg/day for at least 30 days in addition to doing the lid scrubs as outlined above. Doxycycline has been shown to improve meibomium gland function as a separate effect to its antibiotic properties.

I hope I've answered you question. Please press accept if you are satisfied.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD