Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My right eye is experiencing flash of light, quickly. When I

My right eye is experiencing flash of light, quickly. When I move my eye to the right this occurs near the right edge of eyeball. I have never experienced this before.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Can you tell me why I am experiecing flash of light in my eye

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are experiencing a posterior vitreous detachment

Customer:

What should I do

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

At this point I would suggest you have a complete eye examination sometime this week by an ophthalmologist to make sure your retina is OK. In the vast majority of patients there is no problem, however it is important to check your peripheral retina for holes or tears.

Customer:

OK, thank you I will contact my ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

you are welcome. Have a great holiday season :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k