Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My husband has had a Branch Retinal Artery Occlusion of the

My husband has had a Branch Retinal Artery Occlusion of the right eye, he was referred to the stroke clinic at the hospital in an attempt to identify the source of the blockage. They performed a Doppler ultasound of the corritid arteries in the Neck, and they found some evidence of plaque. They also did an echocardiogram of the heart and they found some evidence some of plaque in the areteries from the heart as well. They advised that the degree of the plaque was less than the 70% basis upon which they would recommend surgical treatment. They increased the Lipitor dosage from 20mg to 40 mgs and recommended participation in a stroke prevention program. He is scheduled for a 24hour Holter Monitor screening which is scheduled for the 21 December. His brother has passed away and he wishes to fly fro the east coast to the west coast to attend the funeral. We are unable to reach his doctor or the stroke neurologist for their recommendation. In all other respects he is in good health. Can you advise as to the danger of flying?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-2torjli4- :

Yes

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to hear about your husbands issues.

Dr. Rick :

There is no problem with your husband flying

Dr. Rick :

Also, if he can't be back on the 21st to be fit with the holter monitor a few days delay won't really make any difference

JACUSTOMER-2torjli4- :

Thank you - I assume therefore that flying is not known to increase the event of a stroke whereas it is not recommended when one is dealing with a blood clot in the leg for instance which is not his problem

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. Have a safe trip.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-2torjli4- :

Thank you - you have eased my worries.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k