Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I work in the skin care field giving with a microcurrent

Customer Question

I work in the skin care field giving facials with a microcurrent system and use it around the eye area. Some clients complain of white flashing lights or colored lights. Can this pulsed electrical stimulation cause damage to the optic nerve or retina? The manufacturer said to tell my clients "enjoy the light show and it was perfectly safe". I want to be sure it would not create any permanent damage to my client. I would appreciate a professional opinion for my clients safety.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I will be happy to help you today.

Customer:

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Dr. Rick :

That is very interesting advice from a product manufacturer :)

Dr. Rick :

The retina, which is the "photographic film" inside your eye has no pain receptors. Any stimulation -- pulling, pushing, cutting etc -- is interpertated as light and a signal is sent to the brain to this effect.

Dr. Rick :

The pulsed electrical stimulation that some clients experience while you aere using microcurrents around the eye should be safe. High enough amperage could cause damage to the retina or optic nerve but I would expect that you are using that much energy in your treatments..

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your response. If the current is low enough clients don't experience this phenomena. Would it be more beneficial and safe to maintain lower currents?

I will be leaving now but you can also send an answer to my personal email at *****@******.*** or I can reply on Monday.

Again, Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
just to be on the safe side I would use the lower setting around the eyes. The website blocks email address'.....all I got was a bunch of x's.

Have a great holiday season.