Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Blood vessel in eye burst and white formation which looks like

Blood vessel in eye burst and white formation which looks like a tiny four leaf clover with one of the white protrusions reaching on to the iris? what is this?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any pain in the eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was there any precipitating factor such as severe bout of coughing/sneezing, any trauma to the eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello , are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does the eye look blood shot now?

JACUSTOMER-4ltlr7ji- :

no pain. don't remember any major event. have been outside in cold for last two days is only thing different than normal

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-4ltlr7ji- :

eye has area of dark blood. in that area there is a tiny white formation that looks like tiny cotton balls attatched to each other and one of the balls is actually on the iris

JACUSTOMER-4ltlr7ji- :

or could be described as a tiny white puzzle piece

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is most likely to be due to a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Let me briefly describe about it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It occurs from a rupture of one of the tiny blood vessels in the white of the eye called conjunctiva. It is a harmless condition and subsides on its own within a week or two depending on how big it is. It can occur for no apparent reason also or with subtle trauma/injury to the eye/head, severe bout of coughing or sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those on medicines like low dose aspirin. In your case it is not uniform and has tiny areas of clear conjunctiva in between which appear like clover leaf.
For a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage, you need not go to the ER and may as well wait for the spot to subside.You can put preservative free lubricating eye drops like Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day for soothening effect ( available OTC).

JACUSTOMER-4ltlr7ji- :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX an Enagic technology machine which makes many different pH waters. I have used the 11.5pH in my eyes as refresh drops before. Can I use the 11.5pH drops instead of the drops you mentioned?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well I need to check out for this . Give me a few minutes. But ulitimately it dissappears even without treatment so I guess not putting anything in the eye would be best as of now.

JACUSTOMER-4ltlr7ji- :

kangendemo.com is a site to show you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-4ltlr7ji- :

i have been using the 2.5pH for eye and ear infections (my neighbor uses it for warts) for 2 years now and it works wonderful. My wife uses the 11.5 for eye drops everyday and she loves it, so because of this I don't have any other drops on hand, but I will go buy some if you think I need to.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No I don't think any eye drops are essential for the treatment aspect. You need to patiently wait for the hemorrhage to clear up in a week or two.

JACUSTOMER-4ltlr7ji- :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been very helpful

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome.