Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm an 81 year old and have sent requests yesterday and

Customer Question
today. My problem is Bloodshot...
I'm an 81 year old and have sent requests yesterday and today. My problem is Bloodshot eyes. More details in previous email
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today. Let me see if I can pull up your prior posts.

Dr. Rick :

Found it. Not much information there.... :) Have you had any eye surgery, take any medications or have any medical problems? Does the entire eye become red or just the part between your upper and lower lid? Any discomfort with the redness?

Customer:

I hope you find the posts .I will respond to any &all queations

Customer:

Have never had eye surgery. Entire eye becomes red . No discomfortN

Dr. Rick :

When does the redness seem to happen? What have you done to make it better?

Customer:

It's red as soon as I wake and does not clear. Have done nothing as it is not a discomfort

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like you might have a couple of things going on: Dry eyes and blepharitis. These things are usually worse in the morning....

Dr. Rick :

Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversable) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix.

Dr. Rick :

It may take 3 or 4 weeks of the tear drop usage and lid scrubs for things to get better. The next step would a course of doxycycline 100 mg/day for 30 days, but this stuff can be hard on the tummy....

Customer:

When first awake the eyes do feel a bit scratchy but after one rub there is no irritation.

Customer:

When first awake thereis a bit of irritation--after one/two rubs no more irritation.

Dr. Rick :

That is possible with blepharitis. One note of caution. Stay away from "get the red out" products. They contain a vasoconstrictor that just irritates thing more and makes the eye more red when they wear off

Dr. Rick :

It things don't improve in a month or so you should see an ophthalmologist for a full exam as there are other, less common, causes of your redness that are beyond the scope of an online chat to diagnose.

Customer:

Will try the natural tears! Don't understand "Punctal occlusion?

Dr. Rick :

that is where, in a stepwise fashion, each of the 4 tear outflow channels on your eyelid are closed off to keep more and more tears in place on your eyeball

Dr. Rick :

don't want to close them all at once or the tears may just run down your face....this can be very irritating to the skein

Dr. Rick :

that would be skein, without the "e" :o)

Customer:

One more thing-When golfing especially this past year I have difficulty following the ball all the way to the end--Both mine & my opponents.

Dr. Rick :

Don't hit it so far and it will be easier to follow ;o)

Customer:

Thanks for your help'I will follow your advise--except for the distance of the ball.

Dr. Rick :

You most likely at your age have some degree of cataract. This would cause loss of contrast sensitivity, among other things, and make it hard to follow a ball as it travels 300 yard or so.....an exam by an ophthalmologist would be able to figure if this is the case.

Dr. Rick :

It has been a pleasure to chat with you today. Sorry you had so much problems getting your issue addressed in a timely fashion.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Dr. Rick :

Have a great holiday season.

Customer:

I go for my semi-annual checkup after the 1ST & will discuss the cat.

Dr. Rick :

ok. Take care. Let me know if I can be of further service in the future

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD