Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My mother has been experiencing vision loss for over the

past six months. She...
My mother has been experiencing vision loss for over the past six months. She is 93 years old, basically in good health except that due to debility and peripheral neuropathy she is completely bedridden and has been for 4 years and therefore has been unable to go to an opthalmologist. However, her primary doctor has arranged for us to call a local ophthalmologist for an appointment and he will accept her on a gurney. She will not be able to get into the chair so he will not be able to test her for a new prescription. He will only be able to check her eyes while on the gurney. I am thinking she is experiencing macular degeneration and was wondering if it is worth paying for an ambulance to transport her to the ophthalmologist just to examine her eyes without being able to use most of the examination equipment. I was told by some people that there can be drops to help with macular degeneration. What do you advise?
12/7/2010
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Hello and thanks for your question; it's a good one. I definitely think it would be worth it for your mother to go see thus ophthalmologist. One of the surest ways for an elderly persons quality of life and ability to think and do things clearly to be lost is through loss of vision. Even though she will be on a gurney, the ophthalmologist should still be able to tell a lot about her eyes including the presence of cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration and other forms of vision loss. The ophthalmologist can also determine get glasses prescription by retinoscopy (using a hand-held light source to assess the reflex of the retina which can allow her refractive error to be determined. That way, at the very least, she can be fit in the correct pair of glasses. Does that all make sense? Does that help address your concerns? Do you have further questions? I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.
Dr. Dan B.
In other words she does not have to be in the examining chair to determine if she needs a prescription change in her glasses?
That is correct. There can be some factors about a patient's eyes that may make the retinoscopy more difficult such as small pupils or dense cataracts but for most patients this should be able to be done. Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions I can help you with?
No more questions. Thank you very much. I already paid the required amount plus a tip of $10 for you, therefore I am not accepting your last answer as that would be additional money and I was actually responding to your first answer.
Actually you don't need to press the accept button more than once. That is the payment for this entire encounter. We can continue to chat until all your concerns are resolved without paying anything else. Thank you very much for the bonus. I would be interested in hearing how your mother does with her visit. You can just repose to this same question thread and there will nit be any future charges for thus encounter. Good luck and I'll be here if you do have another question about this.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.