Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have had glasses all my life to read and see-Know I cant

I have had glasses all my life to read and see-Know I can't read with my glasses but can read withut them? Have gone to the Doctor and they say my vision has not changed? What is happening?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer :

Hello

Dr. James :

Before we begin.

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Customer :

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Did you go to an optometrist (OD) or ophthalmologist (MD)?
Did he prescribe new glasses?

Customer :

I have been to optometrist and had my eyes examined and my eye sight has not changed enough to change glass.

Dr. James :

Well, I'm surprised that your prescription did not change enough to get new glasses. Your ability to read now versus before indicates you had a change in prescription.

Customer :

I couldn't read anything without glasses until about 6 months ago now I can't read with the glasses but can read fine without them

Dr. James :

When was your eye exam?

Customer :

I just recently had one about a month ago Have been two times to him for this but he says he has no answer.

Dr. James :

The phenomenon you describe is commonly described as second sight. This is related to early cataracts which often does not change the clarity of vision but may change the prescription and allow you to read better without glasses.

Dr. James :

That is why I am surprised your prescription was not different.

Customer :

So I should have a MD l check for cataracts forming is that what you are saying.

Dr. James :

Well, both and MD or OD can check for cataracts.

Dr. James :

Your eyes should be dilated to get a good look at the cataract however.

Dr. James :

You may consider seeing another doctor for a second opinion, MD or OD.

Customer :

I know this sounds strange because the OD said the eye sight had not changed enough to change glasses but I can't read with them but read great without them

Dr. James :

Yes, I agree with your that the prescription is likely different since your reading ability has changed.

Customer :

thanks