Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am wanting to know how safe it is to remove nodules from

I am wanting to know how safe it is to remove nodules from the corneal in a regular ophthalmologists office or should I go to a corneral specialist? What is recovery time and is this a painful procedure.
Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

What kind of nodules do you have? Do you recall the term "Salzmann's nodular degeneration"?

JACUSTOMER-14pfnv1j- :

Yes, they are Salzmann's nodular'

Dr. Rick :

Hi. They can be safely removed in the office by superficial keratectomy. Also, they can be removed using PTK; this is where the same type of laser used for lasik removes the nodules while the remainder of the cornea is protected with a special mask. It is painful, but not much more then the recurrent corneal erosions you have most likely already been through

JACUSTOMER-14pfnv1j- :

Explain superficial keratectomy.

Dr. Rick :

This is where the nodules are removed using either a special knife or a diamond blade, going only partial thickness into your cornea. A bandage contact lens is usually placed on the eye and topical antibiotic drops are used for a few days or so. It works quite well in cases of SND, depending upon the number and location of the nodules

Dr. Rick :

Sorry...I had to step away from the computer in the middle of our chat! I'm back to stay now, I promise :o)

Dr. Rick :

Lamellar keratoplasty can also be done, but I would go to a corneal specialist for this. It involves removing a partial layer of your entire cornea and replacing the removed layer with a donor cornea. There is a good video of it on youtube:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMC1rzwL2EQ

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
The recovery time would be fastest (few days) for superficial keratectomy, about the same for PTK and the longest for Lamellar Keratectomy (few weeks). They all have about the same amount of pain involved.....

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.