Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My son is a for local restaraunt and while cleaning he got

My son is a cook for local restaraunt and while cleaning he got hot grease along with a degreasing cleaner splattered in his eye. He did end up going to the emergency room 5 hours afterwards, and was prescribed two eyedrop medications:ciproflox (antibiotic) and prednisolone ac. (for infamation and irritation). Are there any symptoms or warning signs of a possibly more serious or worsening condition that he should be aware of ?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight.

Customer:

Just wanted to know if there is anything I should be on the look out for with my son's eye injury.

Dr. Rick :

hi

Dr. Rick :

Is your son's eye painful?

Dr. Rick :

And did the ER doc say he had a epithelial defect (corneal abrasion) from the degreaser?

Customer:

yes. and after getting the eye drops, he is experiencing headache and light sensitivity

Customer:

the UV light wasn't working as well as it should (according to doctor)

Customer:

but, he said it was very irritated and because it was exposed to the grease he was worried about infection

Dr. Rick :

I bet he was not evaluated by an ophthalmologist......

Customer:

no... it was just a few hours ago in the ER

Customer:

i am just worried because his employer had him finish his shift... 5 hours later

Customer:

before going to the ER

Dr. Rick :

I don't think he will have an issue with infection. The grease is mostly sterile because it is so hot. The degreaser, however, can easily take the skin off the front of his eye....this would show up on the UV light....which wasn't working as well as it should......

Dr. Rick :

Nice employer......

Customer:

the doctor did not see any ulceration or cuts... but it is VERY red and I can tell it hurts him a lot... yeah.. i'm worried

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, I agree with the cipro drops but not the use of the Pred Forte drops at this point.

Dr. Rick :

This can be very painful but many times things work out OK. How bad is his vision?

Customer:

ok. the Pred Forte drops did seem to hurt him. He could see and took an eye chart test... the drops made his vision sensitive

Customer:

the grease splatter caught just the outside edge of his right eye

Dr. Rick :

I would stop the Pred Forte drops, continue with the cipro drops, put a cold compress on the eye to help with the discomfort, as well as tylenol (or whatever the ER Doc gave him) and see an ophthalmologist in the morning.

Customer:

ok. would the Pred Forte drops do more damage? i hope not.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like he will be OK since it seems that the majority of the hot grease and degreaser missed his eye.

Customer:

ok. thank you.

Dr. Rick :

No, not really, but it would be very, very rare for an ophthalmologist to use them at this point in any injury like what you are talking about.

Customer:

ok. I will take him to an ophthalmologist first thing tomorrow.

Dr. Rick :

They can slow down healing of a corneal abrasion

Dr. Rick :

OK. It was a pleasure to help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Customer:

oh. geesh. ok thank you for your help . goodnight.