Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have had flashing in the right eye for two weeks now. It

I have had flashing in the right eye for two weeks now. It flashes several times a day. More at night
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Customer:

Customer:

Yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Do you have any change in vision?
Any new floaters?
When was your last eye exam?

Customer:

It's a little fuzzy.

Customer:

Yes a couple and 1 1/2 years ago.

Dr. James :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. James :

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Customer:

That's it thank you.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.